WHO Poll
Q: 2017/18 Brighton (h)
a. If e can stop being the masters of our own downfall we should take 3 points, win
77%
  
b. We seem too flaky at the moment and don't expect an easy game, draw
8%
  
c. We can't put teams away and have a soft underbelly, lose
9%
  
d. Did you know that Eurovision 1974 was held in Brighton and launched ABBA onto the world stage with Waterloo
4%
  
e. I love Friday Night Football, it gives me the chance to show everyone down the local just how big a West Ham nut I am, hat, scarf, shirt, you name it I'll be wearing it
3%
  



Alan 12:01 Thu Aug 10
Thursday newspapers (includes West Ham)
BBC

Manchester United boss Mourinho is intent on making at least one more signing before the transfer window closes - with Tottenham left-back Danny Rose, 27, and Inter Milan winger Ivan Perisic, 28, potential targets. (Manchester Evening News)

Rose says he is not planning to leave Spurs, but he would consider a concrete offer from another club, and believes he should be paid more than he is. (Sun)

The England international has also urged Tottenham to spend money, but not on 'players you have to Google and say, 'Who's that?'. (Sun)

Paris St-Germain are close to signing France and Monaco forward Kylian Mbappe, 18, for 180m euros (£163m) and already have a deal in place for team-mate Fabinho, 23, who can play in defence and midfield. (Daily Record)

If Mbappe does leave, Monaco will bid for 30-year-old AC Milan and Colombia striker Carlos Bacca. (Caracol Radio, via Sun)

Chelsea have made a £35m bid for Arsenal and England midfielder Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain, 23, who has just one year left on his contract with the Gunners. (Daily Star)

Arsenal fear that Chile forward Alexis Sanchez, 28, could revive his attempts to force a move away from the Emirates. (Daily Mirror)

Barcelona will return with a fourth improved offer for Liverpool's 25-year-old forward Philippe Coutinho. (Daily Mail)

Liverpool boss Jurgen Klopp is the biggest obstacle to any negotiations for the Brazil playmaker. (Marca)

But Coutinho will not hand in a transfer request to force through a deal. (Sport)

West Ham are preparing a £25m bid for Sporting Lisbon's 25-year-old midfielder William Carvalho. (Daily Mail)

Chelsea and Brazil midfielder Willian, 29, had talks with Manchester United this summer about rejoining former boss Jose Mourinho. (Goal)

Newcastle have secured a season-long loan for Chelsea winger Kenedy, 21. The Brazilian was sent home from the Blues' pre-season tour in China last month following a social media row. (Daily Mirror)

Manchester United have opened talks with striker Zlatan Ibrahimovic over a new contract, despite the 35-year-old still recovering from a knee ligament injury that will keep him out until next year. (Daily Mail)

Ibrahimovic is continuing to work hard on his rehabilitation, and has told United boss Jose Mourinho that he wants to return to Old Trafford. (Guardian)

Borussia Dortmund have told Barcelona they must pay 150m euros (£135m) for France forward Ousmane Dembele, 20, as the Spanish club search for a replacement for PSG and Brazil striker Neymar, 25. (Guardian)

Marseille boss Rudi Garcia says Arsenal and France striker Olivier Giroud would be the "ideal" signing, but the 30-year-old is not interested in joining the Ligue 1 side. (L'Equipe - in French)

Middlesbrough and Netherlands midfielder Marten de Roon, 26, is set to rejoin former club Atalanta, despite only leaving the Italian side for Boro last summer. (Gazette)

Newcastle manager Rafael Benitez has spoken to Arsenal counterpart Arsene Wenger about signing Spanish striker Lucas Perez, but the Gunners are holding out for £13.4m for the 28-year-old. (Chronicle)

Spain midfielder Isco, 25, is close to signing a new deal at Real Madrid - ensuring Manchester United and Arsenal will miss out on a move. (Independent)

Aston Villa defender Jordan Amavi flew to Marseille on Wednesday and could have a medical with the French club on Thursday as the 23-year-old looks set to sign on a season-long loan. (L'Equipe - in French)

Sunderland are interested in signing former midfielder Grant Leadbitter, 31, from fellow Championship side Middlesbrough. (Sunderland Echo)

Former Tottenham striker Roberto Soldado, 32, has joined Turkish side Fenerbahce from Spanish outfit Villarreal. (AS)

Newcastle midfielder Jack Colback, 27, is set to be left out of the promoted side's 25-man Premier League squad. (Shields Gazette)

Manager Antonio Conte has told the Chelsea board to sign 25-year-old Barcelona and Spain full-back Sergi Roberto, who has a release clause of 40m euros (£36.2m). (Sport - in Spanish)

Valencia and Portugal right-back Joao Cancelo,23, is close to joining Premier League champions Chelsea. (Don Balon, via Express)

Meanwhile...

Luka Modric will miss Real Madrid's Spanish Super Cup first leg away to Barcelona because of a red card picked up in the second leg of the trophy's 2014 edition. Under current rules, the Croatia midfielder would have already served the ban but this is Real's first appearance in the event for three years. (AS)

Ex-Newcastle and Republic of Ireland goalkeeper Shay Given, 41, has criticised former Stoke team-mate Giannelli Imbula. The Potters' club record signing looks set to be sold to French side Monaco. (Off The Ball)

Manchester United scouted now Real Madrid midfielder Isco during Sir Alex Ferguson's time as manager, but the verdict was that "he's not quite quick enough and his head is too big for his body". (ESPN)

Premier League clubs are not paying enough to help with the cost of policing matches, says London's mayor Sadiq Khan. (Daily Telegraph)
Best of Wednesday's transfer news

Barcelona want to sign Liverpool's Brazil playmaker Philippe Coutinho, 25, by the end of the week. (Daily Mirror)

But Liverpool are refusing to sell Coutinho, as a Barcelona delegation flew to England to negotiate a deal. The La Liga club are willing to up their bid to £120m. (Daily Star)

Real Madrid president Florentino Perez has told the media in a public statement that the club have no plans to sell Gareth Bale, 28, following interest from Manchester United. (Star)

Chelsea have launched a £25m bid for Arsenal's England midfielder Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain, 23. (Daily Mail)

Inter Milan have joined the race for Leicester's playmaker Riyad Mahrez, after Roma had a £32m bid for the 26-year-old turned down. The Foxes want £50m for the Algeria winger. (Daily Mirror)






Guardian Rumour Mill

Barry Glendenning

While the potential next moves of Alexis Sánchez (still at Arsenal), Kylian Mbappé (still at Monaco) and Philippe Coutinho (still at Liverpool) continue to hog the headlines, West Ham probably deserve a column inch or two if news of their interest in William Carvalho is to be believed. The Sporting Lisbon defensive midfielder has a £39.5m release clause in his contract and is rumoured to be keen on a move to the Premier League, but the Hammers will test the waters with an opening bid of £25m. Previously linked with Barcelona, Real Madrid, Manchester United and – more recently – Arsenal, West Brom and Newcastle, the burly Euro 2016 winner has no shortage of suitors and is contracted to Sporting until 2020.

After announcing on TalkSport on Wednesday that he is hoping to sign “three players … maybe four” before the transfer window closes, Mauricio Pochettino has been linked with a move for Ajax defender Davinson Sánchez in this morning’s Sun. Tottenham’s inactivity in the current transfer window has been well documented but talks have begun in Amsterdam over the future of the 21-year-old Colombian centre-back who you may remember from Ajax’s Europa League final defeat at the hands of Manchester United. Chelsea, Barcelona and Crystal Palace are also rumoured to be sniffing around.

Tottenham have been heavily linked with Everton midfielder Ross Barkley for months, but reports this morning say Chelsea are ready to torpedo any potential offers with a bigger bid of their own. After being sent home from the club’s pre-season trip to China for posting insulting messages about his hosts on social media, their cultural attaché Kenedy is on the verge of being re-assigned to Newcastle on a season-long loan, while the Stamford Bridge outfit are also being linked with moves for disaffected Tottenham defender Danny Rose, Barcelona’s Sergi Roberto and Valencia’s João Cancelo. That’s a lot of full-backs.

Despite his public assertion that Manchester United’s chances of signing Gareth Bale have evaporated, nobody believes José Mourinho really thinks that. Tabloid reports suggest the Manchester United manager has urged his Old Trafford employers to offer Real Madrid £100m to secure the Welshman’s services.

Newcastle central midfielder Jack Colback may have to look for another club after the Shields Gazette revealed he will not be included in Rafael Benítez’s Premier League squad. “We are trying to move players out to bring players in,” said Benítez, who is known to be most disillusioned with his club’s apparent unwillingness to secure his transfer targets since winning promotion from the Championship. “We know where we are and what we need.” A new owner?






Guardian

West Ham’s Javier Hernández delights in returning to ‘my old house’
• Striker to make West Ham debut at former home Old Trafford
• Hernández won two Premier Leagues with Manchester United

Nick Ames

Javier Hernández will return to Old Trafford as a West Ham player on Sunday and says he feels “only happiness” towards the club that brought him to the Premier League seven years ago. The Mexico forward expects to make his competitive debut for Slaven Bilic’s side at the stadium he called home for four seasons; the venue brings positive memories although he admits to being “shocked” when Sir Alex Ferguson, who signed him from Guadalajara, retired in 2013.

“I can just say it’s luck,” Hernández said of the fact his return to English football, having spent two seasons at Bayer Leverkusen before joining West Ham for £16m last month, comes against United. “It was a great experience [there] … only happiness. I was living my dream and made that big step, which is not common.

“There is nothing negative about going there. It’s going to be my first game with my new club, against my old club in my old house. It’s only positive things – it’s an important moment for me.”

Hernández scored 59 goals in 157 appearances for United during a five-year spell that also brought a season on loan at Real Madrid. He helped them win Premier League titles in 2010-11 and 2012-13 under Ferguson, averaging almost a goal every two league games in each of those campaigns, and says he was jolted by the sudden departure of the long-serving manager.

When asked if Ferguson’s announcement was a surprise, he said: “I didn’t see it coming. Nobody did. It was very strange. We were shocked but we were very respectful too because he decided squads, games, everything … it was his life.

“He was the manager who brought me here and opened the door to Europe. He taught me to be a better footballer; we won the 19th and 20th Premier Leagues for Manchester United together, so of course I was going to be upset when I had a good relationship with a person who gives you a lot of confidence and helps you to improve as a person and a player.”

Hernández’s form at United tailed off after Ferguson departed. He scored nine times in 33 appearances the following season but would make only five more appearances thereafter, eventually furthering his career in Spain and – with considerable success – Germany. He accepts United’s wider fortunes dipped to a greater extent than he had expected.

“Everything changed [when Ferguson left],” he said. “I cannot only tell you one thing. I don’t say this in a good or bad way, it was just change, and we didn’t respond as well as David Moyes or we wanted to. Nobody wants to be out of European competitions or not fight for the title.”

Both of those goals appear a long shot for a West Ham side who finished 11th in last season’s Premier League. Hernández is viewed as the cure for a malaise that has seen a string of often underwhelming centre-forwards shuttle through the club over recent years but says he bears no extra burden.

“I feel the same as when I went to Manchester United, when I went to Real Madrid and Leverkusen, and now West Ham,” he said. “I am going to play football, which is something I was fighting for since I was a kid, and then we will see what happens. It’s easy to say I can score 20 goals, or that I have a lot of pressure, or not, or blah, blah, blah. Speaking is very easy but the most important thing is to prove myself on the pitch.”

Hernández felt flattered to hear José Mourinho say he could have scored “20 goals easy” at United last season but pointed out, with no sense of bitterness, he “didn’t get the chance to prove it”. He prefers to focus on the sense of possibility in reviving his new club and believes he can fulfil his ambitions there.

“I’m looking at it as a challenge in the same way as when I go with the national team or any of the clubs I played for before,” he said. “It’s football, I want to keep doing it and show I can achieve the things I dream of, and I think I can.”






Mail

West Ham United prepare £25m bid for Sporting Lisbon defensive midfielder William Carvalho

Portugal international William Carvalho has been a target for several clubs
Sporting Lisbon have always proved notoriously difficult to negotiate with
However West Ham are hopeful they can broker a deal with a bid of £25m

By Simon Jones

West Ham United are launching a £25million bid for Sporting Lisbon midfielder William Carvalho.


(Image: Getty Images Europe)

The 25-year-old Portugal international has been a target for several Premier League clubs over the past four seasons but Sporting have always proved notoriously difficult to negotiate with, and have demanded a price closer to his release clause which is understood to be £39.5million.

That has naturally made West Ham wary but they are hopeful they can broker a compromise involving Carvalho's new agent Pere Guardiola, brother of Manchester City boss Pep.

City, West Bromwich Albion and Arsenal have all been linked with Carvalho this year as they look for holding midfielders.

The Angola-born powerhouse has amassed 37 caps for his country, winning Euro 2016, and is eager to move to the Premier League with London offering an even greater attraction.

West Ham have already broken their club transfer record to bring in strikers Javier Hernandez and Marko Arnautovic but Slaven Bilic recognises he needs a quality ball-winner to protect his defence.

Bilic also wants another forward and will streamline his squad to help offset wages and the summer's spending.

Aston Villa are keen to sign winger Robert Snodgrass while Galatasaray want midfielder Sofiane Feghouli.




C&H

Lanzini for Liverpool – the case AGAINST!

There remain many sceptical Hammers fans who fear that Manu Lanzini is about to become Phillipe Coutinho’s replacement should the Reds play maker depart to Barcelona.

And let’s be clear that is a very big SHOULD indeed for he only signed a new five year deal at Anfield last year with Jurgen Klopp making him his most influential player.

Meanwhile, David Sullivan has told ClaretandHugh that Lanzini is simply not for sale and a top national journo friend I spoke with last night, who has been on Liverpool’s close season tour, explained all the information he had from Kop insiders was that it simply will not happen.

That was confirmed this morning when Barca launched a second 90 million euros bid and had it rejected out of hand with Liverpool making it clear the matter was now totally closed.

OK, I’ve been running this site long enough to know that won’t convince the most despondent and pessimistic Irons but hopefully this might.

Manu Lanzini is our top play maker but quite simply he is nowhere near ready to replace Coutinho at this stage of his career.

I understand that any player is improved by those around him but the idea that Manu can walk into the Liverpool team and make it tick to the Coutinho extent or close is an epic stretch.

Yes he has plenty of skill and sets up his share of assists but he doesn’t have the consistency level to become ‘Coutinho Mark 11’ at this stage of his career.

The idea that we are going to be faced with the dilemma of perhaps being faced with what some believe would become a £60m – £70m bid for him leaves me with my eyes wide open and legless to use the title of a favourite song of mine.

I understand the nerves among Irons when such stories start to circulate but I reckon it’s based on a love of one of our best players – that doesn’t mean he’s ready for the sort of level being discussed. In five words: It’s based on agents talking

If he is and Barca – as I expect – fail to get Coutinho then we should be expecting them to come for Manu!

Is that going to happen. Don’t think so do you?




Mail

22-year-old Chelsea midfielder Lewis Baker has attracted interest from Bournemouth and West Ham


Replies - Newest Posts First (Show In Chronological Order)

Texas Iron 10:54 Fri Aug 11
Re: Thursday newspapers (includes West Ham)
Cheers...

jimbo2. 3:24 Fri Aug 11
Re: Thursday newspapers (includes West Ham)
Sir Alan, has a certain ring to it! Thanks as always.

plankton 1:11 Fri Aug 11
Re: Thursday newspapers (includes West Ham)
Wide-eyed and legless, surely?

Thanks Alan 9:55 Thu Aug 10
Re: Thursday newspapers (includes West Ham)
Takashi Miike 12:07 Thu Aug 10

Mart O 5:11 Thu Aug 10
Re: Thursday newspapers (includes West Ham)
Thanks Alan.

Alan 1:06 Thu Aug 10
Re: Thursday newspapers (includes West Ham)
Lewis Baker headline added.

Russ of the BML 12:16 Thu Aug 10
Re: Thursday newspapers (includes West Ham)
Ta Al.

Takashi Miike 12:07 Thu Aug 10
Re: Thursday newspapers (includes West Ham)
Thanks Alan

charleyfarley 12:06 Thu Aug 10
Re: Thursday newspapers (includes West Ham)
Many thanks Alan, I have written to the Queen and PM demanding you get a knighthood for services rendered





Copyright 2006 WHO.NET | Powered by: