WHO Poll
Q: 2017/18 Brighton (h)
a. If e can stop being the masters of our own downfall we should take 3 points, win
69%
  
b. We seem too flaky at the moment and don't expect an easy game, draw
8%
  
c. We can't put teams away and have a soft underbelly, lose
14%
  
d. Did you know that Eurovision 1974 was held in Brighton and launched ABBA onto the world stage with Waterloo
6%
  
e. I love Friday Night Football, it gives me the chance to show everyone down the local just how big a West Ham nut I am, hat, scarf, shirt, you name it I'll be wearing it
3%
  



Alan 11:24 Mon Sep 4
Monday newspapers (includes West Ham)
BBC

Playmaker Lionel Messi, 30, is said to be considering his future at Barcelona following the departure of Neymar, 25, and the club's failure to sign the likes of Philippe Coutinho, 25, and Angel Di Maria, 29. (Diario Gol, via Daily Express)

Arsene Wenger has admitted he considered quitting Arsenal before signing a two-year contract this summer - but now insists the Gunners can still win the title this season. (Daily Mirror)

Manchester United could revive their interest in Antoine Griezmann, 26, as his release clause at Atletico Madrid is to be halved from its previous figure of £184m (€200m) when the Spanish club's transfer embargo ends in January. (Mundo Deportivo, via Daily Express)

Tottenham's 28-year-old Belgium international defender Toby Alderweireld, whose current contract runs until 2020, has urged the club to hand him an improved deal, insisting a host of other clubs are keen to sign him. (The Sun)

Arsenal's Alexis Sanchez has broken his silence after the collapse of his deadline day move to Manchester City. The 28-year-old forward wrote on Instagram: "You will realise that what today seems like a sacrifice, will end up being the greatest achievement of your life." (Manchester Evening News)

Crystal Palace boss Frank de Boer is prepared to change his favoured 3-4-3 formation but could still be sacked before next weekend's match with Burnley after three successive defeats and no goals to open his Premier League campaign. (Independent)

Everton's England international midfielder Ross Barkley, 23, will sign for Tottenham in the January transfer window. (Daily Star)

Serie A champions Juventus are lining up a January move for Liverpool midfielder Emre Can, 23. (Tuttosport, via Independent)

Arsene Wenger has said he will revisit his interest in Monaco forward Thomas Lemar, after confirming Arsenal submitted a late £92m bid for the 21-year-old France international before last month's deadline. (Guardian)

Former Manchester United and City forward Carlos Tevez, 33, says it is "very difficult to return" to his first club Boca Juniors in Argentina as his contract at Shanghai Shenhua is "very complex". (Guardian)

Ex-Arsenal defender Bacary Sagna, 34, is available on a free transfer after being released by Manchester City and has been linked with Crystal Palace, West Ham and Brighton. (Croydon Advertiser)

Tottenham's defensive midfielder Eric Dier, 23, insists he had no intention of asking for a transfer request amid summer interest from Manchester United. (Manchester Evening News)

Meanwhile...

Wayne Rooney insists there will be no reversal of his decision to retire from international football but is taking his coaching badges and would one day like to manage England. (Talksport)

Liverpool boss Jurgen Klopp says he has no worries about Philippe Coutinho, 25, returning to the side after submitting an unsuccessful transfer request. (Guardian)

Former Arsenal striker Ian Wright described 28-year-old midfielder Mesut Ozil's call for less criticism and more support as "laughable". (606, on BBC Radio 5 live)

West Ham are launching legal action against the Sporting Lisbon director who called co-chairman David Sullivan a "liar" and a "parasite". (Daily Telegraph)

Chinese spending power in European football is set to be reined in as the country's government takes action to prevent money leaving the mainland and the Midlands could be particularly affected, with Aston Villa, Birmingham, West Bromwich Albion and Wolves all under Chinese ownership. (Birmingham Mail)

Tottenham defender Jan Vertonghen celebrates Belgium becoming the first European side to join hosts Russia at next summer's World Cup finals and is on the scoresheet as they beat Greece to qualify with two matches still to play.

Chelsea boss Antonio Conte chose "Football English: Soccer Vocabulary for Learners of English" as his reading material during a holiday on a sun-kissed beach in his native Italy. (The Sun)

Tottenham's Eric Dier says footballers are "the last people to blame" for the extraordinary wages in the game. (London Evening Standard)

Watford's Jerome Sinclair with a forthright reply to a website forum. "This footage is one-sided and very misleading. I was approached, but nothing was agreed. I am very happy at Watford and am looking forward to the season. Don't believe everything you read or watch!"

At least two Manchester United stars are being investigated by HMRC over alleged image rights tax issues. (Daily Mail)

Brighton goalkeeper Tim Krul believes Newcastle made a mistake by dismissing Chris Hughton, now his manager again on the south coast. (Newcastle Chronicle)
Best of Sunday's transfer gossip

Real Madrid rejected the chance to sign Arsenal's Alexis Sanchez in the transfer window but could return for him next summer when he is a free agent. (Don Balon, via Express)

Sources close to unsettled Chelsea striker Diego Costa, 28, say he has offered no suggestion he is prepared to return to the London club and make himself available for selection. (Telegraph)

Chelsea are understood to be considering suing Costa for up to £50m if he does not return to the club. (Express)





Guardian Rumour Mill

Barry Glendenning

Following the disappointment of a transfer window in which their club lost Neymar to PSG, failed to land many of the big-name transfer targets they were actively pursuing and were caught being decidedly “economical with the truth” regarding Lionel Messi’s future, Barcelona fans must now resign themselves to further months of speculation about their star player’s next move. Messi is reported to be irritated with his club’s various embarrassments during the January window and may very well up sticks and head for Manchester City when his contract expires next summer. An intriguing report from Spanish news outlet Don Balon suggests that it was the Argentinian who blocked an approach from Barcelona for Arsenal’s midfielder Mesut Özil, as he did not think a move for the former Real Madrid player would be a shrewd one.

Arsène Wenger has made headlines with the revelation that he considered quitting his post at Arsenal before signing his two-year contract extension during the summer. Those among Arsenal’s fan-base who campaigned so vociferously for him to leave are unlikely to take comfort from speculation that he will attempt to sign Monaco’s Thomas Lemar at the next available opportunity, following his failure to do so last week.

Monaco’s vice president, Vadim Vasilyev, has said that Lemar was interested in joining Arsenal or Liverpool before the transfer window closed last week, but was ultimately convinced to stay at the Stade Louis II. “It was not easy,” said Vasilyev. “Thomas wanted to go to Arsenal and to Liverpool, but we had discussions and we took a communal decision so that he could stay here. He is a very important player for us. We could not have sold him, it would have affected the entire team and the individuals.”

Still a free agent after being released by Manchester City this summer, Bacary Sagna could be on his way to Leicester City. Foxes manager Craig Shakespeare is in the market for cover for Danny Simpson and could use a man of Sagna’s considerable experience, although the 34-year-old has also attracted interest from Crystal Palace, West Ham and Brighton, as well as clubs in Portugal, Turkey, Italy and his native France.

And finally, Frank De Boer is prepared to change the tactics that have contributed so much to Crystal Palace’s haul of no points from their first three Premier League games, but is concerned that he may not be around to implement a new policy of hoofing it long to the channels against Burnley at Turf Moor next weekend. Palace have yet to score in the Premier League this season and Roy Hodgson, Sam Allardyce and Slavisa Jokanovic are all being linked with the Dutchman’s job.







Guardian

West Ham to launch legal action over Sporting Lisbon 'parasite' comments

Jason Burt, Chief Football Correspondent

West Ham United are launching legal action against the Sporting Lisbon director who called co-chairman David Sullivan a “liar” and a “parasite”.

The Premier League club are contacting Nuno Saraiva, Sporting’s director of communications, who claimed they had not made a formal written offer to sign the midfielder William Carvalho.

Sullivan has described Saraiva’s allegations as “nonsense” and is now taking legal proceedings, claiming his reputation has been damaged by a potential libel. A letter is being sent to Saraiva.

West Ham also say they have an email showing that they did, indeed, on Aug 10, contact Sporting and their president Bruno de Carvalho to make an offer for William Carvalho which amounted to a minimum €25million (£23million), to be paid over three years, with additional terms and bonuses “to be discussed”.

Negotiations dragged on, through agents, throughout August with Sporting apparently refusing to budge on their higher valuation for the Portuguese international who, it is understood, wanted to join West Ham and is upset that he did not make the move. Carvalho was manager Slaven Bilic’s number one target to be West Ham’s holding midfielder.

Sullivan had told West Ham’s official website on Friday that Sporting had then contacted him on transfer deadline day, Thursday, to say they would accept a club record bid for midfielder Carvalho, after all.

Saraiva, however, responded, on Saturday claiming: “David Sullivan is lying. Sporting Clube de Portugal, as its chairman has already said, has received no offer for the player William Carvalho.”

In a statement on his Facebook page, Saraiva also made derogatory remarks about Sullivan, and how he made his money through the adult entertainment business, and said he needed to provide proof backing up his claim that a bid had been made.

“David Sullivan has the duty of proving what he said,” Saraiva went on. “Sporting Clube de Portugal is challenging him to publish the proposals that he said were made, as well as the proof that Sporting CP received them.

"One thing is clear: Sporting CP, as we have said, does not cut the legs off its players. But we have nothing to do with the behaviour of businessmen or family members who live off the players and who go around offering them from club to club at bargain basement prices, without any mandate, as if they were cheap supermarket produce. It devalues players, it devalues the club, and it creates unfortunate situations like this one, which has forced Sporting Club to take drastic measures to defend itself from these characters who live off some players like parasites."

Sullivan has reacted furiously. "We made bids through the agents acting for us,” he said, while an email was also sent directly to the president. Sullivan also spoke to Sporting last Thursday. “To say we never bid is utter nonsense,” Sullivan said.




Replies - Newest Posts First (Show In Chronological Order)

Mex Martillo 7:30 Mon Sep 4
Re: Monday newspapers (includes West Ham)
Thanks Alan

BubblesCyprus 7:01 Mon Sep 4
Re: Monday newspapers (includes West Ham)
Bit late today Thanks Alan

Mart O 1:38 Mon Sep 4
Re: Monday newspapers (includes West Ham)
Eddie B 12:05 Mon Sep 4

Eddie B 12:05 Mon Sep 4
Re: Monday newspapers (includes West Ham)
Alan, thanks.

Takashi Miike 11:58 Mon Sep 4
Re: Monday newspapers (includes West Ham)
Thanks Alan

Thanks Alan 11:38 Mon Sep 4
Re: Monday newspapers (includes West Ham)
ted fenton. 11:31 Mon Sep 4

Pub Bigot 11:34 Mon Sep 4
Re: Monday newspapers (includes West Ham)
Sullivan hasn't done his reputation any more harm off the back if this saga than it already was. Only a minority remain behind the board.

ted fenton 11:31 Mon Sep 4
Re: Monday newspapers (includes West Ham)
Thanks Alan.





Copyright 2006 WHO.NET | Powered by: